John L Walker pioneer Bega Optometrist
John L Walker who graduated in 1931 was the first optometrist near me in the Bega Valley on the far south coast NSW.
The National professional body was only created in 1918 so he was a very early qualified optometrist in the history of NSW South Coast Optometry.
He practiced in Canning St Bega and subsequently moved to the corner of Carp St and Canning St opposite the King’s theatre.
Many patients depending upon their age ranges still remember him well.
Good folk from as far as Eden,Cooma and Batemans Bay as well up and down from the sapphire coast were treated by John Walker who also travelled extensively providing services without today’s health fund and medicare provisions..
In the 1930’s glasses were often described as medical appliances wheras nowadays quality eyewear has both the optical correction and fashion element.
Services as an independent optometrist were largely vision testing and provision of a basic array of spectacles,not prescription sunglasses,nor eg coloured contact lenses. Many patients recall their eye examination from yesteryear in their feedback. Nor were the advanced prescription glasses of today with the latest technology and eyewear available nor could he employ the latest technology to fully assess eg diabetes,glaucoma,macular degeneration and cataract conditions that dominate todays health fund claims.
From mid 1940’s Noel P Ford practiced based at Bega after originally working at Newtown in Sydney.He also a pharmacist and farmer. During the 1990’s Noel Fords farming property at Mogareeka Tathra , Riverview was acquired under the 1973 Coastal Land Protection Scheme and is now part of Mimosa Rocks National Park. It had a wonderful view of the beach up to to the Tathra headland.
Roger B Stewart Optometrist came to Bega in the mid 1960’s after practicing in Wagga Wagga to the same John L Walker rooms of the 1930’s. With today’s freedom and time and resources Peter D’Arcy Optometrist Bega can provide a highly tailored service.
Roger B Stewart relocated a few doors up to 91 Carp St Bega (Opp Coles) in the early 1980’s, who Peter D’Arcy joined as a partner in 1984 expanding into Merimbula and Eden as Stewart and D’Arcy Optometrists.